Monday, February 9, 2009

Product Junky...

Well, I'm almost at my one month loc-versary and I absolutely love my hair thus far! It seems though, for now anyway, this blog is becoming less about my hair and more about the itching and dandruff. But that's okay because at least this itching is not due to chemical burns and accompanied by the pain of relaxing my hair. After my follow-up at which there was A LOT of dandruff coming from my scalp I decided that I needed to do SOMETHING. And at this point a trip to the dermatologist is not an option due to time constraints.

Unfortunately, while I wasn't a product junkie before (well not obsessive anyway) I am one now as I go on my quest to find the right shampoo for me (since that is pretty much all I can do at this point.) hose of you who have know scalp issues during your journey, I envy you! But I'm glad your way has been smooth. Lucky, lucky me that I stumbled upon this shampoo that seems to be doing a great job. I only say seems because I only had one wash with it so far.

I bought two because I couldn't decide which one I wanted. Both on the inexpensive side of the shampoo spectrum. I found both at my local Bargain Center which was GREAT for my pocket (being a school teacher doesn't exactly leave me with a lot of funds for my hair, so I have to be selective). The first was Head and Shoulders Citrus Breeze for Fine/Oily hair. I thought this would be good because I realized that I don't think I have dry scalp AND it had pyrithione zinc. But I wasn't thrilled that is had sulfates in it so I kept looking. The second shampoo is Tea Tree Triple Treat Invigorating Shampoo by Giovanni and I think I'm in love. It's marked for all hair types clarifies and moisturizes (which was a concern because at this stage my only moisturizer really should just be water, right?), has no sulfates (Yay!) AND claimed to alleviate dry, flaking scalp with organic tea tree botanicals. After reading reviews of both products the Giovanni shampoo might be one to use less frequently since it clarifies and thus, may dry my hair out. So I may end up using the Head and Shoulders after all.

So I chose the second, more organic one to try out. And I love the way my hair feels. And my scalp is looking healthier. And best pf all, no itchies! Just the normal, occasional itch. However, I do have some dandruff, but not as much so I think that problem will be alleviated with a few more washes which I do once a week. I've also taken to spritzing my hair every other day or two with a water mixed with 15 drops of tea tree oil (to 8 oz water) and one drop of mint oil. I may change that since I started using it to control the itching before I found this new wonderful shampoo. :-D
I'll keep you posted. :)

P.S. Sorry there are no pictures. Not much has changed. But I'll try to have some next post, especially since I'll have had my mid-winter recess break!

No comments:

Post a Comment